In Flanders, you can enjoy 5 unique guarantees for a successful conference
How large is Flanders actually? And which Fleming is the only non-American with a statue in the capitol of Washington State? Click here to learn some interesting and fun facts about Flanders.
1. Here, you will find the experts you need in your field
The Flemish growth industries are a hotbed of knowledge and talent in your industry. These experts can’t wait to contribute to a quality conference. Thanks to the presence of so much expertise in your field, you are also guaranteed an engaged and knowledge audience for your conference.
The VISITFLANDERS Convention Bureau will even partner with reputable experts in your industry, who will advocate on behalf of your conference. These members of academia, business leaders and decision-makers will endorse your conference, so that you are certain to get the right level of support.
2. You reap the fruits of our legacy philosophy
Each conference wants to be a milestone for the industry. But nowadays, expectations are much higher. Your association also wants to create lasting added value for the society in which you operate. In other words, you want your conference to leave a legacy.
In Flanders, this legacy is a priority. We reflect on the lasting impact of your conference on your association and members, as well as on your host city, the region, and locals. The possibilities are endless, the opportunities plentiful.
A new study programme at a Flemish university thanks to your conference? A ground-breaking declaration of intent with stakeholders? Better services for the city’s population? Greater prevention thanks to the dissemination of your insights? The VISITFLANDERS Convention Bureau thinks about your legacy with you, increasing the impact of your conference in Flanders.
Find out here which legacy associations in your key industry were created with their conference in Flanders.
3. Impress your guests by welcoming them to Flanders Heritage Venues
Location, location, location. Where you choose to receive your guests is a crucial criterion for the success of your conference. You will make a lasting impression by choosing such destinations as Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Ghent, Leuven, Limburg, Mechelen or Ostend, and venues such as the Flanders Heritage Venues. The combination of three top-notch assets makes these locations unique in the world:
- their outstanding architectural value
- their unique location, often in the historic city centre
- within walking distance of all the cultural, artistic, and culinary assets of Flanders, which ensure that your guests combine learning with pleasure.
Click here to learn more about the Flanders Heritage Venues and our welcoming host cities.
4. Your delegates will be able to fully enjoy some of the best things in the world
People from all over the world visit Flanders for many different and valid reasons: for its painters, such as Rubens, van Eyck, and Brueghel; for Belgian beer; for unfiltered UNESCO World Heritage. They visit for our cuisine and chocolates, which are the pearl in the crown and they come for our art nouveau architecture and cycling culture. Your conference delegates will be able to experience all this and more to the full. You can offer them a fascinating and extremely varied, world-class fringe programme that always caters to everyone’s tastes.
Check the calender of all events in Flanders here
5. Your delegates can easily get to Flanders, regardless of where they are in the world
Connect Paris, London, Amsterdam, and Cologne with each other on a map and you will know exactly where Flanders is situated. It’s in the centre of Western Europe, with nearby airports so your delegates can easily get there, from wherever they are in the world. Distances are short in Flanders and you can easily get from city to city by public transport. Many of the venues are located in the city centre, making public transport there a fast, easy, and sustainable solution.
Boring & less boring facts about Flanders
- 13.522 km²
- population: 6,589,069
- Important cities and regions: Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Ghent, Leuven, Limburg, Mechelen, Ostend
- National day: July 11
- Time zone: Central European Time / UTC+1 / GMT+1
- Currency: euro (EUR)
- Power voltage and socket type(s): 230V, plug types E and C
- Official languages: Dutch (English and French are widely spoken)
- Driving on the right side
- International driver's licence accepted
- Phone code: +32
- No vaccinations needed
- Fast and easy visa regulations
Brussels is the capital of Flanders
- The Flemish Father Damian is the only non-American to have a statue in the Washington State Capitol.
- "Fallen Astronaut" by the Flemish artist Paul Van Hoeydonck is the only artwork on the moon.
- The first railway on the European continent connected Brussels with Mechelen in 1835.
- The Ghent Festivities in Ghent are the largest cultural festival in Europe.
- The gender pay gap between men and women in the EU is the smallest in Flanders.
- The audio storage cassette was invented in Hasselt in 1963.
- Flanders has the largest sand sculpture festival in the world.
- Along with Washington D.C., Brussels has the largest number of diplomats and international correspondents.
- The first printed newspaper in the world was published in 1605 in Antwerp.
- The Flemish coastal tram is the world’s longest tram line, spanning 68 kilometres from the French to the Dutch border.
- The largest volume of chocolate in the world is sold at Belgium’s national airport.
- The Royal Galleries of Saint Hubert (1847) are one of the oldest shopping arcades in Brussels.
- AB-InBev, the world’s largest brewer, has its headquarters in Leuven.
- Flanders has the densest railway network in the world.
- The first colour photo to be published in National Geographic Magazine (1914) depicted a flower garden in Ghent.
- Flanders has been growing Brussels sprouts for over 400 years.
- The first skyscraper on the European continent – “de Boerentoren” or Farmers’ Tower – was built in Antwerp. Work on the building, which took three years to complete, commenced in 1928.
Tomorrowland is the largest Electronic Dance Music festival in the world