Ha Concerts is located on Ghent’s central Kouter Square. Over the centuries, the square has hosted parades, markets, even jousting tournaments. In the 18th century, a barracks was erected along its south side. Its splendid Rococo pavilion now serves as the main entrance to the Ha building. Next door stood a hotel, which counted Mozart and the Austrian Emperor among its guests.
In 1901, the sprawling building complex was turned into a meeting venue for the city’s commerce and industry called the Trade Fair (Handelsbeurs in Dutch, hence the name Ha Concerts). Recently, the Trade Fair was restored to its early-20th-century grandeur.